Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Female Archetype


I enjoyed the Chekhov version better than the Oates. Yes the Chekhov was wordy. All that extra detail made Chekhov version more interesting to the reader than Oates telling. I loved the way Chekhov described Anna, it helped the reader to visualize her character. Chekhov style of writing kind of reminded me of early fairytale styles (I don’t know of any fairytales about affairs but very similar with the wordiness in the text.) Being a kid who was raised on Disney movies, when we were asked in class to research the female archetypes I immediately thought back as my days growing up watching Disney movies. My favorite movie, was one that came to mind right away the Little Mermaid. Ariel the beloved mermaid is the talked into making a deal with Ursula the evil sea witch (who is the negative female archetype) so Ariel can have legs and walk on land with her Prince. The deal making with Ursula symbolizes making a deal with the devil (another concept we talked about in class.) Every story really is a retelling.
I looked up the definition of Female archetype; I found a total of four in my search. The positive type, which includes: the earth mother, great mother and any mother figure. Then there’s the negative type the temptress, example would be the late great Marilyn Monroe. Than there’s a Platonic Ideal type and last but not least the is the femme fatale type which are women like the black widow spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment