Tuesday, February 23, 2010

After reading part 2 of the Brothers K, the part that found me interesting (not to mention I loved discussion about it in class) was the chapter involving the peasant women and her seeking advice from Father Zomissa about her youngest passing. How hard that must have been for her to lose all her children. And now her last son has passed, she comes seeking advice. I felt like the response that Zomissa gave was a cop out. Also at the same time what else is there to say? Yes, your child in heaven with the angels in a very joyful thought. Grieving is a tough emotion to combat, I lost my grandma this summer and people seemed to drop the same line with me. It is a lovely thought it doesn’t do much for you when you’re constantly missing that person. I guess no one ever wants to lose anyone they love, and people don’t know what to say. I’m always at a lost for words when I learn of a tragedy so I guess I shouldn’t be so hard on Father Zomissa’s response.

We discussed in class that all great novels bring certain concepts up through out the novel (which is also true of great movies ☺). We discussed in class that later on in the Brothers K the concept of children is recurring when the subject of torturing little children is introduced to Ivan.

I think it was very courageous for Fyodor Dostoevsky to immortalize his own personalize loss of his infant child in the Brothers K, by sharing that event through a character in his novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment